The head of the center is D.P. n. Shumilin
Tel .: +7 (495) 691-04-69.
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Head of the TsABK – Shumilin Alexander Ivanovich Doctor of Political Science, Head of the Center for the Analysis of the Middle East Conflicts of ISCRAN
He was born in April 1953 in Moscow. After graduating from MGIMO, the USSR Ministry of Foreign Affairs in 1976 worked as editor of the radio station “Mir and Progress” (broadcasting to the Middle East). From 1978 to 1982 he was a research fellow at the Institute of Oriental Studies of the USSR Academy of Sciences, a scientific secretary of the specialized interdepartmental commission on ideology and policy of the USSR in the Middle East. In March 1979 he defended his thesis on “The problem of creating a Palestinian state” (at IMEMO USSR Academy of Sciences).
From 1982 to 1985 he worked in the economic apparatus of the Embassy of the USSR in Tunisia. Upon his return to Moscow, he moved to journalistic work. From 1988 to 1997, he headed the corps of several newspapers (Komsomolskaya Pravda, Moskovskie Novosti, Kommersant and others) in Algiers (1988-1991), and then in Cairo (1991-1997). From 1997 to 2002 he was an international observer of the newspaper Kommersant, the journal Expert, the newspaper Izvestia. From 2002 to the present he is the head of the Center for the Analysis of the Middle East Conflicts of ISCRAN. In October 2009 he defended his doctoral dissertation on the topic “Interaction of the strategies of Russia and the United States in the Greater Middle East: problems of cooperation and rivalry”.
About the Center
The main current topics of the Center’s scientific specialization are –
United States policy in the Greater Middle East; the study of internal factors and the mechanism for the formation of this policy, an analysis of the relevant developments of the leading ‘think tanks’ of the United States; studying the influence of external factors on the Middle East policy of the United States – the activities of international terrorist organizations of Islamists, the role of Arab oil, the evolution of the military and political situation in the region; Washington’s current interaction with Moscow on the Middle East and in the fight against international terrorism, as well as energy issues in the region of Central Asia, the Caspian and Transcaucasia.
An important place is occupied by studies of the state and prospects for the development of US foreign trade, its commodity and geographical structure. Particular attention is paid to the study of the causes and the formation of an objective assessment of the importance of the trade balance deficit in the United States. In the field of attention are constantly the main concepts and directions of US trade policy, trade relations between the US and Russia.
The Center for the Analysis of the Middle East Conflicts was created in the autumn of 2002 on the wave of the biggest international events that followed the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington on September 11, 2001.
The operation of the international coalition in Afghanistan has sharply raised the issue of both the further strategy of the international antiterrorist coalition and the problem of the “nation building” in the so-called “failed states”. Political elites, primarily the United States, but also the countries of Europe and Russia, felt the need for theoretical comprehension and ideological justification for the policies that they had already carried out: the theory was clearly behind the practice. At the turn of 2002-2003 in the US and Russia, there was a boom in international conferences of experts analyzing the whole complex of problems of international life, exacerbated by a surge in the terrorist activity of Islamic extremists. The question of the “conflict / coexistence of civilizations” arose sharply. Employees TSABK actively joined the processes of theoretical comprehension of this problem, offering the expert community their analytical development, and the relevant government departments of the Russian Federation regularly prepared analytical notes.
The main scientific publications of the Center’s employees are:
1. A.Shumilin, A.Brass ‘Terror without Borders’ (‘Cousins’ or Deadly Enemies?) – Moscow, AST Publishers, 2004 (332 pages)
2. A.Shumilin ‘Antiterrorism is a system-forming factor of the US foreign and defense policy’, ISKRAN, Moscow, 2005 (100 pages) – collective monograph
3. AI Shumilin, “Russia and the US Energy Strategy in the Middle East and Central Asia”, Moscow, International Relations Publishing House, 2008 (168 pages)
4. Shumilin A.I. – article ‘War by proxy’: Iranian version ‘,’ Free thought ‘,? 11 (1599), 2010; (1.5 al.)
5. Shumilin AI – article ‘On the transformation of Turkey’s foreign policy’, ‘America and Russia in the 21st century’ (Issue 3, 2010); (1 al.al.)
6. Shumilin A.I. – the “Middle East” forecast article (pages 132-136) in the compilation ‘2010- Russia and the world: annual forecast’, Moscow, 2009 (IMEMO RAS) – 1 a.L.
7. Shumilin A.I. – article “Antiterrorism and foreign policy of Russia”, “Free thought”,? 4 (1599), 2009; (1 al.al.)
8. Shumilin AI – article ‘Afghanistan as a priority of the anti-terrorist efforts of the Obama administration’, ‘America and Russia in the 21st century’ (Issue 2, 2009); (0.75 a.L.) – http://www.rusus.ru/?act=read&id=148
9. Shumilin A.I. – article ‘Factor of antiterrorism in the foreign policy of the Obama administration’, ‘US & Canada: economy, politics, culture’,? 7, 2009 (1.5 a.l.)
10. Shumilin AI ‘The influence of the South Ossetian crisis on relations between the US and Russia: US expert assessments’, ‘Russia and America in the 21st century’ (ISKRAN), issue 3, 2008 http: //www.rusus .ru /? act = read & id = 94
11. Shumilin AI ‘The Iraq problem and the opposition of the legislative and executive powers of the United States’. ‘Russia and America in the 21st Century’ (ISCRAN), Issue 1, 2008 http://www.rusus.ru/?act=read&id=69
12. Shumilin AI ‘Russia’s approaches to the problem of Middle East settlement’. ‘World Economy and International Relations’,? 5, 2007.
13. Shumilin AI ‘The problem of oil and prospects for the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq’. ‘USA and Canada: Politics, Economics, Culture’,? 12, 2007.
14. Shumilin AI ‘Prospects and consequences of the adoption of the Law on Oil in Iraq’. ‘Russia and America in the 21st Century’ (ISKRAN), November-December 2007
15. Shumilin AI ‘The problem of bipartisanship in US foreign policy’. ‘World Economy and International Relations’,? 5, 2005.
16. A.Shumilin ‘GCC-Russia relations